Re: SVG12: glyph language matching vs xml:lang

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:08:52 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
Cc: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

Hello www-svg,

> * Nandini Ramani wrote:
>>For the non-XML formats, there are a vast number of them and we do not
>>intend to cover them all. However, if you have some suggested text,
>>please send it to us.
>
> It should refer to the language code

Is that a BCP 47 term?

> of the language of the text, which
> is to be matched in accord with one of the matching algorithms in one of
> the RFC 3066 successors
Right

>  instead of "the" xml:lang attribute.
No. As well as, perhaps; as noted earlier we are not going to remove
mention of the xml:lang attribute because it is the correct method for
XML, because mentioning it gives greater guidance for implementors and
authors and because it gives greater testability.

>  The I18N
> Core Working Group can propose better text than I.

We will ask them if they can suggest anything that covers all non-xml
formats.

>>Quoting from the XHTML spec:
>>"Use both the lang and xml:lang attributes when specifying the language
>>of an element. The value of the xml:lang attribute takes precedence."
>>
>>So, looking at xml:lang would be correct.
>
> If there are both. Using both is not required, it is documented as
> sort-of a good idea when and if compatibility with HTML browsers is
> desired.

Right. If there are both, then xml:lang takes precedence so the value of
lang is irrelevant (but should be the same). If there is only one, in
xhtml, its xml:lang. if there is only one,in 'classic' non-xml html,
then its lang - and its a non-xml format. So we seem to have all the
cases covered there.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead