Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: No conformance criteria for how to parse attribute values

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:58:45 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

Hello www-svg,

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> Robin wrote:
>> Generally the error handling is specified on the attributes, not on
>> the data types. Unless otherwise noted, when an attribute holds a
>> value that is incorrect it is treated as if it hadn't been specified.
>> The behaviour then depends on what the default value is.

> So to clarify, it is indeed expected that, e.g. mobile phone vendors,
> will implement conformance checkers for attribute values?

That is not what we said, no. What we said was that the syntax for a
given attribute is specified,  often in EBNF; that other values are
unsupported, and shall have no effect.

This is not a "conformance checker". An implementation is only required
to know about the correct attribute values for each attribute in the
profile that it implements; which it needs to do anyway.

> My testing has shown that even desktop UAs tend to not bother to
> implement such syntax checking, instead recovering from syntax errors
> in proprietary ways. (For example, transform="translate(20, 0" causes
> a translation transform in all the UAs I have so far tested.)

Thanks, that is useful testing. Could you give a pointer to the test and
a list of all the UAs you tested? Did you log bug reports on them?

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG