Re: SVGT 1.2: Section 1.4, svgz

* Andrew Shellshear wrote:
>--------------------
>When an SVG user agent receives compressed SVG content (e.g., a .svgz
>file) as an entity over HTTP, if the "Content-Encoding" response header
>is missing or specifies a value that does not match the compression
>method that has been applied to the content, then the SVG viewer must
>not render the content and must treat the document as being {{in
>error}{hyperlink to implnote.html#ErrorProcessing}}.
>--------------------

This is incorrect, the draft should say that implementations must not
infer a content encoding based on heuristics; an implementation cannot
know whether the resource is encoded or just some random garbage or in
some unsupported character encoding that just happens to look like gzip.
Implementation behavior is implied, they would process this just as any
other XML octet stream, probably fail to determine the encoding and
assume UTF-8 and then determine that the resource is not UTF-8 encoded
and consequently stop processing.

>--------------------
>It is recommended that SVG files have the extension ".svg" (all
>lowercase) on all platforms. It is recommended that gzip-compressed SVG
>files have the extension ".svgz" (all lowercase) on all platforms.

>Regarding how the .svgz extension is "odd", the .svgz extension has been
>part of the SVG specification since SVG 1.0 and was also part of SVG
>Tiny 1.1; thus, whether it is "odd" or not is more philosophical at this
>point. .svgz is required in SVG Tiny 1.2 for backwards compatibility
>with SVG Tiny 1.1. Regarding whether it would have been better to use
>.svg.gz instead of .svgz, it's too late now to change.

'.svgz' is not required, it is recommended for use by authors with
no implications for implementations. I don't see how bw-compat is
meaningful in this context.