Re: bug with positioning Arabic text in SVG/Adobe using 'dy' attribute

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:12:53 +0200
To: "William Chau" <william.chau@oracle.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org, svg-developers@yahoogroups.com

On Monday, April 10, 2006, 5:43:19 PM, William Chau wrote:

WC> It seems that SVG or Adobe has a bug when  positioning Arabic text inside SVG.
WC>
WC> My question to all of you guys is:
WC>
WC> Is this a bug in SVG or Adobe SVG plugin? Is there  a solution to this problem?

Its a bug in the Adobe SVG plugin. The SVG spec talks in terms of characters in logical order in the backing store and is thus unaffected by bidi rendering.

(You probably also noticed another bug, where the correct arabic form of the characters is not displayed).

That's a good test, can we use it in the test suite? What does the text say?

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG