Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: <title> does not define what the title is

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:00:51 +0200, Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com> wrote:
> And keep in mind we are talking about the SVG *Tiny* specification which
> is targeting constrained devices. Virtually no one is going to use
> anything except plain text for titles. In fact, we should all be
> ecstatic if content developers use titles at all.
>
> The plain text case is the one that we should make sure works. One
> approach is to say that it is OK for Tiny user agents to just extract
> the strings from the text nodes and concatenate them together. If you
> put markup within <title>, the author cannot be sure what will happen,
> so don't do that if you want it to work interoperably across Tiny UAs.
> We can consider more advanced features for <title> in subsequent
> versions or more powerful profiles (e.g., Full).

So what the SVG Tiny specification should define is how to extract the
text version of a <title>. I see two options that make sense:

  1. Use textContent;
  2. Go through childNodes and ignore everything
     except CDATASection and Text nodes.

I guess this could be a small paragraph at the end of the definition of
the <title> element.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>