RE: SVG12: trait access vs "an error"

Hi Bjoern,

> From: Bjoern Hoehrmann [mailto:derhoermi@gmx.net]

> * Scott Hayman wrote:
> >I think that you might have mixed up the cases when a document is in
> >error, as described in the error processing section [1],
> with when an
> >error is encountered during an API call, as described in the section
> >covering trait access [2].  An API may raise an exception
> when a method
> >is called regardless of the state of error processing on the
> document.
> >The spec is consistent as these two things are independent.
>
> Well, looking at the latest public draft I cannot agree, the
> draft notes that if a situation "is specifically stated as
> being 'in error' or 'an error' in the prose of this
> specification" the "SVG document fragment is technically in
> error". You seem to be saying that sometimes 'an error'
> means what the draft defines, and sometimes something else. I
> am not sure how that's consistent.

We agree - the sentence describing getTrait should be modified to remove
this confusion.

The original sentence read:

	"Unlike attributes, each element has a well-defined set of
traits and attempting to access an undefined trait is an error."

The sentence has been updated as follows:

	"Unlike attributes, each element has a well-defined set of
traits and attempting to access an undefined trait with throw an
exception."

Thank you very much for your thorough review, please let us know if this
does not address your concerns.

Scott Hayman
On behalf of the SVG WG