Re: [SVG] assigning to currentScale

Robin Berjon wrote:

> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Jonathan Watt wrote:
>
>> Those in control of the Firefox UI want us to use the controls already
>> familiar to users for panning, namely scrollbars.
>

> Imho, a bad idea. Scrollbars should occur when the width and height
> attributes of the root 'svg' element are too big to fit a given area.

Which is never since as far as I can tell in Firefox's case it should
always override these values.

   http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/coords.html#ViewportSpace

The (or at least a) proposal for Firefox was that it should provide
scrollbars once currentScale > 1.

> You scroll to show areas of the viewport that aren't otherwise visible.

The "viewport" as I understand it is the area available for the
rendering of the SVG, so that doesn't make any sense to me.

> Panning to content outside the viewport should imho be done with such UI
> devices as Alt+drag.

Use of modifier keys was one of the reasons ASV style panning is being
opposed.

 > The two interaction concepts are separate and
> mixing them doesn't seem to me to be appropriate.

Agreed, but this issue needs to be clarified. Should panning be
unlimited? Unless this is stated explicitly it doesn't look like it's
going to happen in Firefox. Or is there an inherent region to which
panning can/should be restricted? If so, what is it. And what means are
there available for scripts to determine that a value they set on
currentTranslate is invalid? etc.