Re: SVG12: wheelDelta should be UIEvent.detail

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:35:44 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Monday, July 4, 2005, 4:26:23 AM, Björn wrote:

BH> Dear Scalable Vector Graphics Working Group,

BH>   http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/svgudom.html
BH> appendix A.4.10 proposes a new wheelDelta member; this is not needed,
BH> as the event inherits from UIEvent it should re-use the existing
BH> detail attribute. Please change the draft to this effect.

Hello Björn,

The original design inherited from MouseEvent so detail was already
used. We have since made it more generic so that it applies to jog dials
and suchlike wheels as well; it now inherits from UIEvent. owever, after
discussing your comment, we feel that wheelDelta is clearer and more
self documenting than 'detail'. We plan therefore to keep wheelRotation,
since it's a clearer name.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG