Re: [SVGMobile12] Comments: Concepts

On Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 9:08:01 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> I'm not quite sure what the purpose of some of this chapter is.

We had several requests to cover some background and explain concepts.
We were also asked to have some "why should I care" motivating material
early on. This chapter attempts to do that.

BZ> I'm assuming it's informative, not normative? If so, that should
BZ> perhaps be made clearer.

Yes - we have added an explicit comment to that effect at the start of
the chapter.

BZ> I'm also not sure that statements like "The combination of SVG and
BZ> SMIL leads to interesting, time based, graphically rich
BZ> presentations" or "SVG is a good, general-purpose component for any
BZ> multi-namespace grammar that needs to use graphics" really have a
BZ> place in an SVG _specification_ (as opposed to SVG promotional
BZ> literature).

Apparently some people like terse specifications and some people like to
know what value is offered and what the spec does for them. We tried to
strike a balance.

BZ> Similar for overblown phrases like "huge variety of graphical objects" (I
BZ> recommend removing "huge" since it adds nothing to the meaning and again sounds
BZ> like badly-written promotional literature).

Well, a path can create a theoretically infinite number of shapes :)

BZ> The last bullet point of 2.3 appears to be normative to me.

Its not, although it does link to a normative conformance criterion.

BZ>   Is that the case?
BZ> If so, please clearly indicate that, since it's in a chapter-full if informative
BZ> material.  I'd also recommend moving this conformance requirement to a separate,
BZ> normative, section or chapter if this is indeed normative.

Its already in the normative conformance section. Its listed again here
because its one method for including SVG graphics in Web pages. We have
clarified that the chapter is normative, so there should not be any
confusion now.

Please let us know if these clarifications do not satisfy your comments.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG