Re: SVG12: Transfer-Encoding

On Sunday, August 21, 2005, 6:20:19 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> Chris, HTTP/1.1 allows values of Transfer-Encoding other than
BZ> "chunked". In particular, it allows "gzip" as a Transfer-Encoding
BZ> value:

BZ> The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) acts as a registry
BZ> for transfer-coding value tokens. Initially, the registry contains
BZ> the following tokens: "chunked" (section 3.6.1), "identity" (section
BZ> 3.6.2), "gzip" (section 3.5), "compress" (section 3.5), and
BZ> "deflate" (section 3.5).

I was just updating the spec to reference HTTP/1.1
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html

in this regard, but HTTP/1.1 defers to an IANA registry, and

http://www.iana.org/assignments/transfer-encodings

lists only 7bit, 8bit, binary, quoted-printable and base64.

Do I have the wrong registry, or is HTTP/1.1 inconsistent wrt the IANA
registry, using terms it claims are registered but in fact are not?

Looking at http://www.iana.org/numbers.html I don't see any other
applicable registry.

The HTTP/1.1 references
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec17.html#sec17
does not list a registry of Transfer-Encoding tokens either.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG