Re: entities in SVG (middle term view)

Chris Lilley wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2005, 12:16:55 PM, Robin wrote:
> RB> There is no standard way of referencing a RelaxNG schema from an
> RB> instance document. The reason for this is because it's considered bad
> RB> practice to associate tightly a document with a schema, since in fact
> RB> depending on the situation one could want to apply different schemata
> RB> from the one the author thought would be the best.
>
> Right. Some editors use processing instructions to do this. Others use a
> table of namespaces and start elements.

Yes. The RelaxNG folks did some work on defining one (because people
were using it) but since they all thought it was a bad idea it didn't go
very far.

> RB> It is also likely that we'll be putting an RDDL (http://rddl.org/)
> RB> document at http://www.w3.org/2000/svg that will point to the RelaxNG,
> RB> but that may require that we wait for the TAG to come to some decision
> RB> on it.
>
> No, it doesn't. The TAG, after spending a lot of time discussing it and
> even more time trying to design a RDDL 2 that no-one seemed to want,
> then noticed OWL as well and decided there was no one true namespace
> document format any more. So, people who want to use RDDL 1.0 can carry
> on doing so.

Oh, good news. I'd been waiting for something in that space for about 4
years so I guess at some points I just fell asleep waiting ;) I guess if
it won't be decided by the TAG, we'll have to vote with our feet.

> Robin is correct that the svg namespace will probably contain a RDDL 1.0
> document at some point. But the main constraint is getting time to write
> one.

No problem, I'll do it (at some point during CR). I've given myself an
action to do so.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist