Validity Checking

From: Doug Schepers <doug@schepers.cc>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:27:55 -0400
To: "'www-svg'" <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi-

I sent this to xml-dev@lists.xml.org, but got no reply, so I was hoping
someone here could clarify.

I've been playing around with the <oXygen /> XML editor, seeing how
SVG-handy it is, and I've run into a question.

I don't normally but DOCTYPE declarations in my SVG files, since I declare
the namespaces in the root (and since it causes some problems in script with
import and parsing a file that does have a DOCTYPE declaration). But the
Oxygen editor says it's not valid if I don't have one; in fact, it doesn't
even recognize it as SVG.

So, can anyone confirm or categorically deny that one needs the DOCTYPE
declaration to have a valid SVG file? This is counter to what I have gleaned
from the SVG Spec (though I can't find a reference at the moment).

Also, do I need a <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?> header, and if so,
when? Oxygen doesn't care if I do or not, but I just want to Do The Right
Thing.

Regards-
Doug

doug . schepers  @ vectoreal.com