Re: 'prev' Keyword And Id Restrictions

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:01:03 +0100
Cc: <www-svg@w3.org>
To: Doug Schepers <doug@schepers.cc>

Hey Doug,

On Nov 07, 2005, at 01:21, Doug Schepers wrote:
> When I was working on my SmilScript lib, I started wondering where the
> 'prev' keyword is specified. I've used it many times in my SMIL
> animations,
> but when I actually looked for it in the W3C Recommendations [1][2]
> [3][4], I
> couldn't find it. I did find mention of it [5] in the "Synchronized
> Multimedia Integration Language (SMIL) Boston Specification" (3-
> August-1999)
> [6], but that's not just a Working Draft, not a Recommendation.

I don't believe I've ever seen this keyword, and the reference you
give to SMIL Boston doesn't in fact define it, it just uses it. It's
quite possible that it never made it to any SMIL Rec, and that ASV
supports it only because they implemented it at some point for their
SMIL engine and never took it out.

> It's probably much too late to address this, but it really makes
> much more
> sense (and more consistent) to have something that uses XLink
> syntax, like:
>  begin="#myAnimationId.begin"
> or
>  begin="url(#myAnimationId).begin".

It's indeed *way* too late (not to mention that you're asking on the
list of the wrong WG :) If you look at the animation chapter of the
SMIL 2 Rec (not the SMIL Animation Rec) you'll see a list of ways in
which such time specifiers can be escaped.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist