RE: 'prev' Keyword And Id Restrictions

From: Doug Schepers <doug@schepers.cc>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 19:54:24 -0500
To: "'Cameron McCormack'" <cam-www-svg@aka.mcc.id.au>, <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Cameron-

| Doug Schepers:
| > I think it's a valuable keyword, but there is a problem
| with it. Is it
| > permitted to have an animation with an id="prev"? If so,
| how can that
| > be resolved with the syntax  begin="myAnimationId.begin"
|
| According to the ID reference values section[1], you would specify
| begin="\prev.begin", assuming "prev" is a valid keyword.

Very interesting. Thanks for the reference.

I'm not sure if "prev" is actually a valid keyword, given my research. Even
if it is, referencing ids in a more consistent way makes more sense to me,
but maybe I'm just being a purist.

| BTW, what does "prev" mean?  The first animation that is before the
| current one in reverse document order?

It seems to be the previous sibling of the current animation (assuming that
element is an animation element).

| (whose interest in Batik animation has been piqued by Doug's nice
| script)

So, will we see native SMIL animation in Batik soon? ;)

Regards-
Doug

doug.schepers@vectoreal.com
www.vectoreal.com ...for scalable solutions.