Re: [SVGMobile12] Normative and informative sections

On Tuesday, May 17, 2005, 10:02:30 PM, Boris wrote:

BZ> I'm finding it very difficult to review (and would find even more difficult to
BZ> implement) this specification, because the normative and informative sections
BZ> are not clearly marked as such and because the normative and informative
BZ> information is often intermingled in the same section and sometimes in a single
BZ> paragraph.

Wehave now clarified the specification as follows:

- all examples are non-normative
- all chapters are normative except for where a specific section is
notes as "this section is informative"
- appendices state at the start whether they are normative or
informative.

BZ> Please clearly label the normative and informative sections
BZ> accordingly. This will help implementors enormously, since they
BZ> won't have to read every single word of what looks like informative
BZ> text to check whether it happens to contain conformance
BZ> requirements.

Such sections will now be labelled informative. In addition, we did a
complete review of the specification for nortmativity (use of must
should may recommended etc).

BZ> I would recommend fully giving the normative definition of an
BZ> element first, then giving informative examples illustrating the use
BZ> of the element and its various attributes, with links from the
BZ> normative section to the informative one as needed.

We decided that in some cases, introductory material made sense before
rather than after the definition.

Please let us know within two weeks if this does not satisfy your
comment.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG