Re: SVG12: nav-* properties

* Dean Jackson wrote:
>Personally, I'm ok with either solution. However, we need
>8-way navigation, not 4-way as CSS3-UI provides. Assuming that
>CSS WG would accept an enhancement to this feature then I
>think nav-* is acceptable. What do you think?

I think that related technologies should either use the same facilities
for the same functionality or that there should be consensus about using
different facilities and well-defined conflict resolution mechanisms.

I see 8-way navigation is a concern here. There are more differences
though, a CSS-based solution does not require that interaction is hard-
coded into the content markup, it seems thus likely that a CSS-based
solution will make it easier to add interaction to content generated by
sXBL components. Another difference is that nav-* allows for setting
the target frame for the navigation. And 8-way navigation can of course
also be achieved via scripting.

Just to say, I am not convinced that markup or CSS properties for 8-way
navigation are an absolute requirement here, and that adopting the CSS
solution provides advantages even if it does not offer 8-way navigation.
Enhancing css3-ui to provide the desired functionality is an option
though.

As Jon notes, XHTML 2.0 has yet a third mechanism, so do XForms and
other formats. I don't want to end up with a X+Y+Z format with three
different markup and scripting means to deal with navigation and three
different ways how CSS interacts with them.