Re: SVG12: when vs why discard

On Sun, 22 May 2005, Craig Northway wrote:

> element we have changed the relevant text. I have rearranged the edited
> text to resolve your issue. The section in question now states:
>
>    An element gets discarded either when it is the target of a
>    'discard' element and the value of the 'begin' attribute of this
>    latter is reached or when one of its ancestors is discarded.
>
> This now only describe when an element is dicarded.
>
> Later in the discard element description it is clarfied that a discard
> element cna be the target of another discard element.
>
>    The 'discard' element itself can be discarded prior to its
>    activation. It could be the target of another 'discard' element.

Could you reword it to have explicit conformance criteria? For example:

   "User agents must discard an element when it is the target of a
   'discard' element and the time specified by the value of the 'begin'
   attribute of this 'discard' element is reached, and, when one of the
   element's ancestors is discarded."

Or you could phrase this as:

   "User agents must discard an element when it is the target of a
   'discard' element and the time specified by the value of the 'begin'
   attribute of this 'discard' element is reached. When an element is
   discarded, all its descendants must be discarded as well."

Note that the second one also handles the fact that any text node or
comment node descendants of a discarded element must be discarded as well
(at the moment the text you mentioned seems to imply they are not).

The same applies to the other paragraph you mentioned. If it is supposed
to be a conformance criteria, please phrase it as such.

Thanks,