Re: SVG12: #text traits

Dear Björn,

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>   From http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/svgudom.html
> section A.2.7 "The result of getting and setting text content via the
> #text mechanism is exactly the same as when using the textContent
> attribute." This means that this feature is redundant. Please either
> explain in detail why it is not redundant and give advice as to when
> which of these methods should be used or remove the feature from the
> draft to easy implementation, testing, etc.

This is a case in which we've had to concede to redundancy in order to
obtain compatibility. The #text trait is what is defined in JSR-226, and
textContent is the field inherited from DOM 3 Core — we have resolved to
support both as we wish to be compatible with both.

If you are using the uDOM and don't intend to be compatible with JSR-226
(either because you're already using features not present there, or
because you're not using Java), then the recommended one is textContent.
In all other situations, #text is best.

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist