Re: sXBL issue -- bindings getting notified when the bound element is inserted into a document

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:58:36 -0800
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Cc: Peter Sorotokin <psorotok@adobe.com>, Jon Ferraiolo <jon.ferraiolo@adobe.com>, www-svg@w3.org
On Wednesday 2005-03-23 12:30 -0600, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> The thing is, in any sort of reasonable system you can't have objects
> randomly changing which interfaces they implement...  The issue of binding
> attachment through styling has been a major weak point of Mozilla XBL all
> along, and causes so many problems that we are strongly considering moving
> to a different, not style-related, binding mechanism altogether.

I'd slightly restate that.  We want a new binding attachment mechanism
for many of our use cases of XBL, but there are still many other use
cases for attaching bindings from stylesheets (especially when the
binding is purely presentational).  And in those cases, some of the
features of XBL (like implementing interfaces) probably won't be used.

-David

          Technical Lead, Layout & CSS, The Mozilla Foundation