Re: reply to CSS WG comments on SVG 1.2

On Monday, February 28, 2005, 8:23:25 PM, Doug wrote:

DS> Please do keep textflow in arbitrary shapes, and do mandate a particular
DS> algorithm to do so. If a UA implementor wishes to add an additional
DS> algorithm, allow them to do so using an explicit attribute value like
DS> text-breaking='custom', or somesuch.

DS> If I'm being paranoid and jumping to wrong conclusions, um... Never mind,
DS> then. As you were.

Tiny 1.2 has flowing text in rectangles, as it did before.

Full 1.2 has flowing text in arbitrary shapes, as it did before.

User agents are allowed to pick the best line break opportunities for
any language, for example a Thai SVG implementation is allowed to use a
Thai dictionary to do line breaking between words (Thai has no spaces
between words, and only breaks between words). They were forbidden to do
that before, in an attempt to get consistency between implementations.
However it didn't actually give that consistency. So we changed it. In
particular, an implementation that already has a CSS line layout engine
can re-use that and be conformant.

Algorithms will be provided, to help implementors. But better ones can
also be used, if available.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead