Fwd: Re: [svg-developers] Re: sXBL, loading using JavaScript

This is a forwarded message
From: Holger Will <holger@treebuilder.de>
To: svg-developers@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, June 10, 2005, 9:38:15 AM
Subject: [svg-developers] Re: sXBL, loading using JavaScript

goku5z schrieb:

> I checked Mozilla XBL documentation, and it seems that all the
> definitions are loaded into a DocumentXBL. A template should be
> copied from this docmnt and attached to the custom element. The
> DocmntXBL could be created/modified programatically, but it doesn't
> get much into detail.(and may also differ from the sXBL version)

the main difference between mozilla XBL  and sXBL , here is , that in
mozilla , you attach  a binding to a custom element by CSS or javascript.
as far as i understand in sXBL there are no such mechanisms. i agree
that it would be nice if there were a way to attach a binding via script.

i see one problem with the current proposal, if the only way to attach a
binding, is by QName matching.

suppose you have these custom elements, and a binding, that renders a
bar chart from this data. you also have a binding that renders a pie chart.
<valueList>
 <value>10</value>
 <value>20</value>
</valueList>
now suppose you have a few <valueList>s  in your document, and you want
the user to change  the appearence of every single  <valueList> individualy.
in mozilla, you could use javascript to change the binding for each
<valueList> , or use combination of CSS-selectors to do so ( as i do in
this example: http://www.treebuilder.de/svg/xbl/pieChart.xml  )
i wonder how i would do something like that in sXBL. maybe i miss
something in the spec though.

> I suposse the only way I can find out is by asking the authors.
> Anyway, I appreciate your help -you were the only one to reply.
>
> cheers,
> David.

cheers
Holger