Re: SVG12: #text traits

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Robin Berjon wrote:
>>If you are using the uDOM and don't intend to be compatible with JSR-226
>>(either because you're already using features not present there, or
>>because you're not using Java), then the recommended one is textContent.
>>In all other situations, #text is best.
>
> This does not satisfy me, at the very least this clarification should be
> added to the draft.

Clarification has been added explaining the purpose and presence of the
#text trait, and recommending that it only be used when JSR-226
compatibility is desired.

> The #text trait is not defined in JSR-226 as far as
> I can tell, it's only noted in the support table where it is only
> supported for text elements and not for tspan (which is not supported at
> all, it seems), desc, title, metadata, etc. So there is basically no
> compatibility here that could be gained.

JSR-226 only supports SVG Tiny 1.1 and therefore the only text element
is 'text', for which the #text trait is most definitely defined and
supported. Other elements can contain text directly or not, but are not
subject to trait access in JSR-226.

> There are also many other incompatibilities, the clarifications for
> SVGElement.id for example are not in JSR-226

That is up to the EG to update the JSR if they feel they need to.
Coordination will continue to take place when issues are discovered.

The rest is better addressed by Jon's email in this thread.

--
Robin Berjon
   Senior Research Scientist