Re: SVG12: 'display' trait

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:10:39 -0400
To: Ola Andersson <Ola.Andersson@ikivo.com>
CC: derhoermi@gmx.net, www-svg@w3.org, WG SVG <w3c-svg-wg@w3.org>

Ola Andersson wrote:
> The table [referring to the ‘display’ entry in the table that you
> referred to] shows the recommended values in the SVG context. However,
> the list of values that can be set is the same as the list of valid
> values for the 'display'
> <file:///D:\w3c\WWW\Graphics\SVG\Group\repository\spec\mobile\1.2\1.2NG\master\painting.html#DisplayProperty>
> property in markup (see the Controlling visibility
> <file:///D:\w3c\WWW\Graphics\SVG\Group\repository\spec\mobile\1.2\1.2NG\master\painting.html#VisibilityControl>
> section). In the SVG context, the returned value for 'display'
> <file:///D:\w3c\WWW\Graphics\SVG\Group\repository\spec\mobile\1.2\1.2NG\master\painting.html#DisplayProperty>
> is limited to 'inline' and 'none' because implementations further
> normalize the computed value.

I'm not sure I understand what "further normalize the computed value"
is.  Does this means that DOM2 getComputedStyle always returns either
"none" or "inline" for SVG?  Does this mean that if I have the following
markup (with the "svg" and "html" namespace prefixes being the SVG and
XHTML namespace respectively):

<svg:foreignObject>
</svg:foreignObject>

then the computed (and hence used) value of the "display" property of
the <html:html /> will be "inline"?

If this is not what this language means, then what does it mean?  If it
is, then this is directly contradicting the CSS specification....

-Boris