Re: [SVG12] Event categories

Bjoern,
Good points! Thanks for the help.

At 10:22 AM 7/21/2005, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>* Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
> >I agree that the SVG 1.2 spec should include event categories for all
> >events. Thanks for catching this.
>
>Note that the events section in both the previous SVG 1.2 draft and the
>current SVG Tiny 1.2 draft are extremely confused as I've been pointing
>for quite some time now. Here in particular it confuses event categories
>with arguments for the createEvent eventType parameter. The latter are
>not event categories as defined in DOM Level 3 Events.

Yes, you are right. Here is the exact quote from the DOM3 Events spec: "The
eventType parameter [on createEvent()] specifies the name of the DOM Events
interface to be supported by the created event object"

> >But with zoom, there is no event category. I think the best thing for
> >"zoom" is to define a new event category, "SVGEvent" (parallel with
> >"HTMLEvent"). If this suggestion is accepted, then there would need to be a
> >new "SVGEvent" section listed in the SVG DOM appendix.
>
>Note that you cannot use "HTMLEvent" as eventType parameter for the
>createEvent method.

Right again.

>As I've pointed out before, using "HTMLEvent" in
>this sections makes no sense to me. Since SVG Tiny 1.2 does not support
>createEvent and all the related features, introduction of a new emtpy
>SVGEvent interface seems of little use (except of course that SVG 1.1
>had such an empty interface aswell).

Right again. In the DOM3 Events spec, the table in section 1.4.2
(http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-3-Events/events.html#Events-EventTypes-complete)
shows all of the events which are bucketed under the title of "HTML Events"
as having a DOM Interface of "Event", except resize and scroll, which have
a DOM Interface of UIEvent.

So, as I see it, we need to make the following changes to the SVG-t 1.2 spec:

* In the event table in 13.2, change the column heading for column 3 from
"DOM3 Event Category" to "DOM Interface"
* Change column 3 for load to say "Event"
* Change column 3 for resize and scroll to say "UIEvent"
* Change column 3 for beginEvent, endEndEvent and repeatEvent to say
"TimeEvent"
* Change column 3 for wheel to say "WheelEvent"
* Change column 3 for connectionData to say "ConnectionEvent"
* Change column 3 for preload, loadprogress and postload to say "ProgressEvent"

Thanks again.
Jon