Re: [SVG12] Event categories

From: Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:46:19 -0700
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>, Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Good points! Thanks for the help.

At 10:22 AM 7/21/2005, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>* Jon Ferraiolo wrote:
> >I agree that the SVG 1.2 spec should include event categories for all
> >events. Thanks for catching this.
>Note that the events section in both the previous SVG 1.2 draft and the
>current SVG Tiny 1.2 draft are extremely confused as I've been pointing
>for quite some time now. Here in particular it confuses event categories
>with arguments for the createEvent eventType parameter. The latter are
>not event categories as defined in DOM Level 3 Events.

Yes, you are right. Here is the exact quote from the DOM3 Events spec: "The
eventType parameter [on createEvent()] specifies the name of the DOM Events
interface to be supported by the created event object"

> >But with zoom, there is no event category. I think the best thing for
> >"zoom" is to define a new event category, "SVGEvent" (parallel with
> >"HTMLEvent"). If this suggestion is accepted, then there would need to be a
> >new "SVGEvent" section listed in the SVG DOM appendix.
>Note that you cannot use "HTMLEvent" as eventType parameter for the
>createEvent method.

Right again.

>As I've pointed out before, using "HTMLEvent" in
>this sections makes no sense to me. Since SVG Tiny 1.2 does not support
>createEvent and all the related features, introduction of a new emtpy
>SVGEvent interface seems of little use (except of course that SVG 1.1
>had such an empty interface aswell).

Right again. In the DOM3 Events spec, the table in section 1.4.2
shows all of the events which are bucketed under the title of "HTML Events"
as having a DOM Interface of "Event", except resize and scroll, which have
a DOM Interface of UIEvent.

So, as I see it, we need to make the following changes to the SVG-t 1.2 spec:

* In the event table in 13.2, change the column heading for column 3 from
"DOM3 Event Category" to "DOM Interface"
* Change column 3 for load to say "Event"
* Change column 3 for resize and scroll to say "UIEvent"
* Change column 3 for beginEvent, endEndEvent and repeatEvent to say
* Change column 3 for wheel to say "WheelEvent"
* Change column 3 for connectionData to say "ConnectionEvent"
* Change column 3 for preload, loadprogress and postload to say "ProgressEvent"

Thanks again.