getElementById method on SVGSVGElement

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:45:45 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org

I have two question about the getElementById method on SVGSVGElement:

1)  Why does this function exist?  Since IDs must be unique in the document,
     getElementById on the document should be sufficient, no?  Is this method
     meant as a convenience for SVG implementors or for SVG authors?

2)  The "Behavior is not defined if more than one element has this id" wording
     is not clear to me.  Is that "more than one element in the document", or
     "more than one element in the subtree"?  The former makes more sense to it,
     and I'd like to request a formal erratum to that effect.

-Boris