Re: SVG profiles

From: Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWeese@Kodak.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:23:58 -0500
To: Antoine Quint <ml@graougraou.com>
CC: "Fred P." <fprog26@hotmail.com>, www-svg@w3.org

Antoine Quint wrote:

> On 27 janv. 2005, at 13:51, Fred P. wrote:
>
>> - SVG static [no css, no animation, no script, no event]
>> could be useful for those wanting to support basic drawing operation
>> will still images.
>
> I personally think this particular subsetting would have almost no
> relationship left with what SVG is, as described by the SVG specification.

    Oh really?  Have you read the Conformance section lately?

    There are two sub-categories of Conforming SVG Viewers:
      l) Conforming Static SVG Viewers support the static language
	features of SVG that correspond to the feature string
	"http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/feature#SVG-static" (see Feature
	strings). This category often corresponds to platforms and
	environments which only render static documents, such as
	printers.

    I agree with Fred that there is really a need for such a profile,
and not just for 'printing' but to act as a high-quality graphics
interchange format - not everything wants or needs to be dynamic.

    Fortunately the profile already exists!