Re: This might be a stupid question...

Hi All,

    Cameron just raised this to my attention again.  I don't
think I actually followed what Dean had suggested the first time
I read this.

    I might agree that the document is in error, I would disagree
on the reason.  I think it is a really bad idea to allow users to
change the version attribute after the document has been loaded (or it
should have no effect).  If you want to enable this you would have to
specify what implementations are expected to do with existing
references to DOM objects (do they lose the SVG 1.2 methods? Try that
with a strongly typed language ;).  At the very least it would imply
that the implementation would have to walk the DOM checking for
elements or references that are now invalid (re-evaluate switches).

    This just strikes me as an almost impossible to implement
feature with almost no reason for existing.  Also given the
issues with the Object model I have a hard time imagining any kind of
consistent behavior across browsers/binding languages.