Re: SVG12: Script Encoding

"Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote in message
news:41EAFF8B.1090501@mit.edu...

> Jim Ley wrote:
>> For example my reading of the HTML 4.01 rules require that a UA with an
>> XML based script language ignore the XML encoding methods and use the
>> charset of a link to it instead, I do not think this is a good idea.
>
> I'm not sure where you get that from...

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/charset.html#h-5.2.2  The part beginning "to
sum up" seems to give a good summary, no-where does it limit the scope of
that discussion to HTML documents, and no-where does it make any mention of
how to resolve the character encoding of external script.

This is something for the CDF by reference people anyway, not for this WG.

> I  think the XML encoding declaration would similarly take precedence.

We'd all like to think that, but I can find no-where in HTML 4.01 that says
that, and can find where it says the opposite.

Because it's in widespread use in HTML documents, doesn't mean it has to be
the same in SVG documents, especially as even in HTML, it doesn't work in a
lot of user agents.

I certainly do not believe the HTML 4.01 / XHTML 2.0 text as is is widely
enough defined to how it work.

Jim.