Re: SVG12: xml:lang datatype

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:13:45 +0100
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Robin Berjon wrote:
>>I don't mind changing that but I would require a pointer to the part in
>>WXSII that says xsd:language can't be empty first.
>
> Unlike Part 1 of XML Schema Part 2 is not unreadable, just go straight
> to <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/#language>:
>
> [...]
>   The ·lexical space· of language is the set of all strings that
>   conform to the pattern [a-zA-Z]{1,8}(-[a-zA-Z0-9]{1,8})*.
> [...]

You are correct. After discussing this with the Schema IG it appears
that xs:language is not at fault (it sticks to the RFC) but rather that
the description of xml:lang needs to be a choice between xs:language and
the empty string, something which I will implement in the SVG RNG.

Note that there is a difference between 1e and 2e of the schema spec
that makes the above lexical space description correct in the latter:

1e: "The ·value space· of language is the set of all strings that are
valid language identifiers as defined in the language identification
section of [XML 1.0 (Second Edition)]"

2e: "The ·value space· of language is the set of all strings that are
valid language identifiers as defined [RFC 3066]."

--
Robin Berjon
   Research Scientist