Re: SVG12: xml:lang datatype

* Robin Berjon wrote:
>>   For http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-SVG12-20041027/ the RelaxNG schema
>> defines xml:lang as { 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes',
>> 'language' } which, as far as I understand, prohibes the use of empty
>> xml:lang attributes. If that is correct, please change the datatype to
>> { 'http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-datatypes', 'language' } or the
>> empty string.
>
>I don't mind changing that but I would require a pointer to the part in
>WXSII that says xsd:language can't be empty first.

Unlike Part 1 of XML Schema Part 2 is not unreadable, just go straight
to <http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-2-20041028/#language>:

[...]
  The ·lexical space· of language is the set of all strings that
  conform to the pattern [a-zA-Z]{1,8}(-[a-zA-Z0-9]{1,8})*.
[...]

And the empty string does not match that pattern. I could not find a
public response that formally addresses either of

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-xml-schema-ig/2004Jul/0057.html
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-xml-schema-comments/2004JulSep/0086.html

so I don't know whether this is intentional though, maybe these comments
got "lost" somehow in the process. Let's hope such things don't happen
with comments on SVG 1.2... If normative corrections are published for
XML Schema that allow empty xs:language, that would of course address my
comment aswell.