Re: SVG12: namespace'd events vs animation

From: Dean Jackson <dean@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 18:50:21 +1100
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

Hi Björn,

On 29/12/2005, at 4:58 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Dean Jackson wrote:
>> In SVG Tiny 1.2, the value of event-ref (within the event-value
>> syntax)
>> is restricted to the list of SVG event names given in the
>> interactivity
>> chapter. That list describes the fully qualified corresponding event
>> (with namespace).
>>
>> Therefore there is no way to use namespaced events in event-value in
>> this version of SVG Tiny.
>>
>> We believe the specification is clear on this matter.
>
> So you are saying that SVG's animation elements are inconsistent with
> SMIL as they use SVG-defined symbols

It's always been the case that SVG extends the set of events that
can be used within the event-value syntax. I'm not sure why (or if)
this upsets you, since I expect it to be common that a host language
has a different set of supported events than SMIL.

> a context that would expect plain
> event types per the SMIL Recommendations,

What do you mean by plain?

> and there is no requirement to
> support namespaced events in SVG Tiny 1.2 for animation elements

That's right, there is no requirement.

> even
> though there is a requirement to support such events for XML Events
> facilities,

Yes. This is because the feature is already supported via DOM, which
isn't the case with SMIL. It was never a requirement for the
feature set of SMIL animation to match the feature set of scripting.

> a requirement so important that the Working Group has to
> re-define XML Events in SVG Tiny 1.2 (and that even in a way that is
> inconsistent with DOM Level 3 Events). That's clearly not satisfactory
> to me then.

Could you suggest a solution?

Dean