SVGT 1.2: <use> and <foreignObject>

From: Eric Seidel <eseidel@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:44:38 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org

== This message seems to have died somewhere in transit, resending. ==

Greetings,

I understand that it is not the goal of the SVGT specification to
cover all possible interactions between SVG and other languages.
That said, I would still appreciate a comment from the working group
as to the expected interaction between <use> <foreignObject> and tags
in other languages (like html) such as forms (<input>, <textarea>,
etc.) or plugins (<object>, <embed>, etc.)

Should for example 2 copies of a plugin be created for a <use> (the
original, non-rendered version in <defs>, as well as the used
instance?)  What happens when a user interacts with one used copy?
Are all other copies expected to update (think of a flash game,
instantiated multiple times on the page via <use> of a
<foreignObject> containing an <embed>)?

And what about forms? If I type text into one used copy of a form
(<use xlink:href="url(#myForeignObjectWithForms)" />) are all the
others expected to update?

Thanks,
Eric