SVGT 1.2: Copy/Paste/Change

From: Eric Seidel <eseidel@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 21:56:43 -0600
To: www-svg@w3.org

Greetings,

I have a general question about the SVG 1.2 Tiny specification that I
hope one of you might be able to answer.

It has seemed to me, reading through the specification, that there is
a copy/paste/change theme throughout the SVG spec, of XML Events
(capture?), DOM3 (uDOM, as others have noted, is an incompatible
subset), CSS (!important is an error, otherwise not officially
commented on), SMIL (svg-only subset).  This bothers me.  Mostly
because I see it creating a 300 page specification out of what might
otherwise might be a 100 page specification, and may cause potential
incompatibility problems for browser vendors attempting to implement
SVG Tiny 1.2 in a CDF environment.

Could someone offer some general comments on this observed phenomenon?

Thanks,
Eric