Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Conflicting requirements in 5.9.3 The 'prefetch' element

On Tuesday, December 13, 2005, 4:34:18 AM, Ian wrote:

IH> In section 5.9.3 The 'prefetch' element, the various attributes seem to
IH> conflict with each other. For instance, if mediaSize="1024" is set on a
IH> <prefetch> element, but mediaTime="" is not, it means (according to the
IH> current text) that the first kilobyte should be fetched, _and_ that the
IH> entire media should be fetched.

Yes, you are right. 'mediaSize' and 'mediaTime' should be treated as a
pair. We have corrected this as follows:

For 'mediaSize' and 'mediaTime', we removed the sentence

  If the attribute is not specified, the behavior is that the entire
  media should be fetched.

and we have changed the paragraph below the attribute definitions to say

  When 'prefetch' refers to external media, if both 'mediaSize' and
  'mediaTime' are specified, then 'mediaSize' is used and 'mediaTime' is
  ignored. If neither 'mediaSize' nor 'mediaTime' is specified, the
  behavior is that the entire media should be fetched.

This covers all four cases (where each of mediaSize and mediaTime are
specified or not specified).

IH> Please correct the specification to specify exactly what the requirements
IH> on user agents should be when handling the <prefetch> element.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG