Re: [SVGMobile12] STZLC3-2 on display=none and audio

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 07:57:57 +0100
To: "Doug Schepers" <doug@schepers.cc>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Tuesday, December 20, 2005, 2:43:59 AM, Doug wrote:

DS> Hi, Jean-Claude-

DS> | Does display="none" have an influence on the rendering of the audio
DS> | element ? As display="none" does not influence the execution of the
DS> | animate* elements, an explicit mention about this would be welcome.
DS> |
DS> | It may be necessary to introduce the distinction between aural
DS> | rendering and visual rendering in the SVG spec which only talks of the
DS> | "rendering tree" today. The term "rendering" may need to be defined.

DS> That's an interesting use case. Personally, I think there should be fine
DS> control over the audio-rendering, but for the present, I think that this
DS> case is covered by the distinctions between "display='none'" (which
DS> effectively removes the element from the active DOM, and thus should be
DS> silent) and "visibility='visible'" and "opacity='0'" (which should keep the
DS> element, but stop it from being visible, though visibility does seem to
DS> toggle the element's ability to register events).

DS> If this is reasonable, it should be made explicit in the Spec, so
DS> implementors are consistent.

It seems reasonable to me, and is consistent with how display vs
visibility/opacity is dealt with in general.

I agree though that there can be a tendency to read 'rendering tree' as
'visual rendering tree' so that needs to be clarified in the spec.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG