Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Behaviour of <a> pointing into same document outside SVG document fragment is not defined

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:

> If an element is constrained to point into the current svg document
> fragment it is constrained to constrained to point into the current svg
> document fragment. Which means it cannot point outside the current svg
> document fragment. That appears to be simple logic.

That isn't what the spec says. The spec currently says "here are the
possibilities" (or "here are the constraints", if we take your suggested
change), and then says whether various linking mechanisms are constrained
when they use those possibilities (or whether those constraints apply to
those elements).

If an item can be in states A, B, and C, and the spec says that A is
allowed and B is not allowed and doesn't mention C, then there is a
problem. That's the situation the spec is in right now.

> If an element can point to an random location then it can point to any
> random location, which includes pointing to parts of the current
> document, which includes those parts both inside and outside the current
> svg document fragment.

The spec currently isn't defined in those terms. If it was, there would
not be an issue.