Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-307: setAttributeNS() raising exceptions on newly-created elements

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Dean Jackson wrote:

> > Please edit the spec so that it can't be misinterpreted to read that
> > the setAttributeNS() method in DOM 3 Core should also raise that
> > exception in the given case.
>
> Given the use case that you mention below, we think the best solution is
> to remove the exception throwing behaviour. Obviously there are
> situations that require a script to modify the version and baseProfile
> attributes via the DOM, or uDOM.
>
> Would that satisfy your request?

Sure, that would be great.

> The next thing to specify is what does it mean when you change those
> attributes on an actively displayed/interpreted document.
> We intend to add wording that specifies no change in behaviour is
> required from an implementation.

That seems fine. (It isn't really clear to me what a UA is supposed to do
with these attributes anyway -- it seems that a UA that completely ignores
them is conformant, so saying that changes should similarly not have any
requirements seems quite reasonable.)

> This is similar to the behaviour of dynamically inserting a <script>
> element into HTML or SVG. The DOM is updated but the processing doesn't
> change.

Inserting an <html:script> into a document would cause it to be executed
(assuming it hasn't been executed before), but mutating a <script>
elements's contents would indeed not have any effect, which I assume is
what you meant.