Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Behaviour of <a> pointing into same document outside SVG document fragment is not defined

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Chris Lilley wrote:

> No, the spec lists all the reference restrictions, ie constraints, that
> are placed on IRIS for those elements that make links of some sort. That
> is why the secton has the title "14.1.3 Reference Restrictions".

So there is no constraint put on any linking mechanism in the SVG spec
preventing them from referring to elements in other SVG document fragments
in the same document, or to elements outside the current SVG document
fragment in the same document?

> However, I can see that you might have been misled by this text in the
> second paragraph of that section
>
> "The following possibilities exist in SVG. A referencing element
> supports one or more of these possibilities."
>
> This would be better as
>
> "The following reference restrictions exist in SVG. A referencing
> element may be subject to one or more of these restrictions.

That would certainly correct the factual inaccuracy of the spec (and would
satisfy my request), but I do not believe it would result in a spec that
says what you want it to say.