Re: Events in SVG - chapter 13

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:38:05 +1100
To: "Chris Lilley" <chris@w3.org>, www-svg@w3.org
Cc: wai-liaison@w3.org

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 13:33:19 +1100, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> Hello www-svg,
>
> Charles wrote:
>
>> Although they have the activate event, I couldn't find any mmention
>> of it in the discussion and examples. I think that we should object
>> strongly to the current chapter as is.
[...]
> We accept that we did not have an activate event example, so we added
> one right there:

> of an activate event to
>       trigger an ECMAScript event handler:</p>
>
> The example is one you wrote:

[...]
>> The activate event should be more clearly identified as the event
>> triggered by mouse clicks, pen taps, etc, as  a default.
>
> Yes. We agree and have identified it more as the default. We also have a
> note in the spec:
>
>   Note: The W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) advise
>   content creators to create device-independent content; in particular,
>   content should not require that the user has access to a pointer
>   device.

[...]

> Please let us know very shortly if this response does not resolve your
> comments.

I suspect that this resolves my comments, at least to the point that any
further changes would be editorial. I would like to see a couple of the
examples of using non-device-independent events used, and an explanation
given of what is wrong with them (such as the difficulty of understanding
how they will actually work in environments where stylus-based or
voice-based navigation is used).

As a stylistic note, why not use the HTML code element for element names
and attribute values? Many groups do now (although not the HTML group,
curiously).

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile     +61 409 134 136     Opera Software
chaals@opera.com                             http://opera.com