Re: SVGT 1.2 Comments

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 06:25:02 +1100, Scott Hayman <shayman@rim.com> wrote:

>> Appendix F - F.2
>
>> 1. It mentions a text equivalent, but I feel this should be more
>> specific,
>> and go as far as stating that it should be the semantic meaning actually
>> conveyed by the shape or shape component.
>

> Unfortunately, this is not something that is covered in the User Agent
> Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 [1], the document we used to develop our
> accessibility guidelines and a document that we don't feel that we
> should go beyond.  Perhaps this is something that you can bring up with
> the working group responsible for that document.

This concept of an "equivalent" (which is not necessarily simply text)
comes from, and is clearly described in the way Will suggests in the Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines [1], which are now a relatively old,
stable and established W3C Recommendation. I think that the requested
change is merely editorial (i.e. it could be done after the publication of
a Last Call draft, in the worst case, without requiring explicit comment)
but that it should be made.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#glossary

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile     +61 409 134 136     Opera Software
chaals@opera.com                             http://opera.com