Re: SVG12: height/width defaults

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:15:27 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Craig Northway <craign@cisra.canon.com.au>, www-svg@w3.org, WG SVG <w3c-svg-wg@w3.org>

On Tuesday, April 26, 2005, 10:51:23 PM, Bjoern wrote:

BH> * Craig Northway wrote:
>>>  From http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-SVGMobile12-20050413/coords.html
>>>section 7.13
>>>
>>>[...]
>>>  SVG must specify how to calculate some intrinsic sizing properties to
>>>  enable inclusion within other languages. The intrinsic width and
>>>  height of the viewport of SVG content is determined from the width and
>>>  height attributes. If these are not present the default values of 100%
>>>  should be used.
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>This suggests there may be valid reasons to behave differently. This
>>>is not the case, in the SVG processing model the attributes are always
>>>"present" as they are either specified or defaulted. Please change the
>>>draft such that it does not mislead about this requirement.
>>>

>>This was just an editorial mistake. The specification has been changed
>>to read:
>>
>>"If these are not specified the default values of 100% should be used."

BH> This does not satisfy me, the SHOULD implies that there are probably
BH> circumstances where different behavior is acceptable, I do not think
BH> there are such circumstances and if there are, these need to be noted
BH> in the definition of the attributes.

I agree with Björn , "should" has a specific technical meaning (as
defined in RFC 2119 (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/conform.html#Terminology )

so

If these are not specified, the default values of 100% are used.

or

If these are not specified, the default values of 100% must be used.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead