Re: Fwd: Two questions on flowed text in 1.2

Bulia,
Looking forward to SVG Full 1.2 and an expanded <textArea> that supports
arbitrary shapes, I have some questions for you:

1) Is Inkscape primarily interested in SVG for publishing (i.e., the SVG's
are view-only) or SVG for applications (i.e., the SVG presents a user
interface and users enter data which is sent back to a back-end server)? I
would like to have a better understanding of the workflows for which
Inkscape will be using <textArea>.

2) Do you want the various SVG viewers to perform rewrapping of text on the
client side, and if so, do you require that the viewers wrap text exactly
as your authoring tool? There are various situations where the viewer will
wrap text differently than the authoring tool: (a) the SVG viewer may not
implement all features completely or correctly, (b) complicated specs such
as SVG tend to have at least a few errata, so even "correct"
implementations might not have integrated errata completely at any given
moment in time, (c) client systems will have a different set of installed
fonts, (d) not all fonts with the same name are identical (e.g., Helvetica
can vary from machine to machine), (e) different users install different
localization packages, (f) mathematical issues such as some viewers using
fixed point arithmetic versus others using double-precision floating point,
plus accumulated round-off error. (This is not a complete list.) As I
remember, the SVG wrapping text rules were that if a given "word" overflows
all available regions, that word is just not visible. Therefore, if viewers
wrap differently than an authoring tool, there is a chance that some text
might get lost.

3) Do any of your workflows involve pouring dynamically-generated text into
a <textArea>, where the SVG acts as a template?

Thanks.
Jon Ferraiolo