Re: [SVG] event-free specification

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 03:15:05 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Monday, April 11, 2005, 5:13:23 PM, Anne wrote:

AvK> I was wondering if there were any plans to create an event-free
AvK> specification. This subset of the SVG specification can include
AvK> movements and such but there is no way the user can interact with the
AvK> image/animation.

AvK> This would be especially useful for SVG images loaded through the CSS
AvK> 'background-image' property or the xhtml:img element.

However, it would require such content to be specially constructed.

AvK> Or is this something user agents are supposed to address themselves?

It seems cleaner to me to state that, when an SVG images is used as a
CSS background image rather than as foreground content, it receives no
pointer or keyboard events. Thus

- links cannot be traversed
- animations that use such events do not start, etc

implementations can choose to optimise for the case where they know that
the SVG is never going to get any user-initiated events.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead