Re: XBL in document fragments

"Erik Arvidsson" <erik@eae.net> wrote in message
news:4159A03B.1020406@eae.net...
> I'm not totally sure about this. The important part is that both the
> following works:

> <script type="text/javascript">
> // assuming the binding adds a test method
> document.getElementById("p").test();
> </script>
>
> and assuming that the document has defined my:test to have a binding
>
> var el = document.createElementNS(myns, "test");
> el.test();

but with a CSS binding, you should not expect the 2nd to work, since you
can't work out the cascade until it's in the document, I agree with pure
name binding in sXBL it's a different issue.

Equally, I can't think of any scenario without custom methods where it
matters (therefore there's no need to decide this for sXBL, and we can wait
to decide on this behaviour until a complete XBL specification.)

> The important part that Mozilla and IE50 missed is that the interface of
> the bound element needs to be available all the time.

Do you have an actual use case why - I'm struggling to really see it, and
can think of many situations where having the bind events before it's in the
document are problematical (anything that relies on sizes etc. from the
document.  You'd certainly get considerable complications, and start having
to track mutation events as the element was inserted into the document.  I
think it would be much easier to say that the binding happened on insertion.

Cheers,

Jim.