Comments about sXBL

From: Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@enst.fr>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:39:40 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org

Dear Scalable Vector Graphics Working Group,

I have a question regarding the way XML events are dealt with in (s)XBL.
I understand that an author will want to attach a handler to a
definition but what I don't understand is the way you specify it. The
example in section 5.1 shows:

"
<xbl:definition element="myNS:button">
    <xbl:template>...</xbl:template>
    <xbl:handlerGroup>
       <svg:handler ev:event="DOMActivate"...>...</svg:handler>
    </xbl:handlerGroup>
</xbl:definition>
<myNS:button id="b1">...</myNs:button>
<myNS:button id="b2">...</myNs:button>
<myNS:button id="b3">...</myNs:button>
"

Why did you define this new 'handlerGroup' element? Why couldn't one put
the handler within the definition as follows ?
"
<xbl:definition element="myNS:button">
    <xbl:template>
       <svg:handler ev:event="DOMActivate"...>...</svg:handler>
    </xbl:template>
</xbl:definition>
<myNS:button id="b1">...</myNs:button>
<myNS:button id="b2">...</myNs:button>
<myNS:button id="b3">...</myNs:button>
"

In general, I don't think there is a need for a specific handling of
listeners. They should be part of the template and considered as opaque
XML content from the XBL point of view.

Best regards,

--
Cyril Concolato