sXBL: Section 2.6, resource errors

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:25:09 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org

Dear Scalable Vector Graphics Working Group,

  Section 2.6 of the latest sXBL draft states

[...]
  If the URI designated by an import element cannot be resolved, or
  returns an HTTP 404 error, or does not point to a resource with an XML
  MIME type, or has any other problem that makes it unusable, then the
  element is in error.
[...]

  * I fail to see how 404 is different from e.g. 410, I consider both
    to mean that retrieval fails and that that means that the URI
    cannot be "resolved", the reference to 404 should be removed

  * it is not clear from the specification what an "XML MIME type" is,
    a normative reference to RFC 3023 might work here, but it is note-
    worthy that not all XML MIME types are defined there or use the
    +xml convention

  * I fail to see the relevance of the reference to XML MIME types.
    It is generally not clear to me what SVG processors are required
    and/or allowed to do if they face e.g. application/xml or
    application/xhtml+xml content, at least SVG 1.0 does not require
    them to process such resources at all. I am also not sure whether
    an application/xml delivered SVG document is conforming. How is
    this defined in SVG 1.2 and how is it different in sXBL?

  * Does this mean that protocols without the notion of MIME types
    cannot be used for sXBL?

regards.