sXBL: Section 2.6, resource errors

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:25:09 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org

Dear Scalable Vector Graphics Working Group,

  Section 2.6 of the latest sXBL draft states

  If the URI designated by an import element cannot be resolved, or
  returns an HTTP 404 error, or does not point to a resource with an XML
  MIME type, or has any other problem that makes it unusable, then the
  element is in error.

  * I fail to see how 404 is different from e.g. 410, I consider both
    to mean that retrieval fails and that that means that the URI
    cannot be "resolved", the reference to 404 should be removed

  * it is not clear from the specification what an "XML MIME type" is,
    a normative reference to RFC 3023 might work here, but it is note-
    worthy that not all XML MIME types are defined there or use the
    +xml convention

  * I fail to see the relevance of the reference to XML MIME types.
    It is generally not clear to me what SVG processors are required
    and/or allowed to do if they face e.g. application/xml or
    application/xhtml+xml content, at least SVG 1.0 does not require
    them to process such resources at all. I am also not sure whether
    an application/xml delivered SVG document is conforming. How is
    this defined in SVG 1.2 and how is it different in sXBL?

  * Does this mean that protocols without the notion of MIME types
    cannot be used for sXBL?