sXBL: Dynamic Conformance Constraints

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 04:09:46 +0200
To: www-svg@w3.org

Dear Scalable Vector Graphics Working Group,

  In the latest sXBL Working Draft, the term "in error" is defined as

  In this specification, the term in error, when used of an element
  or attribute, means that the element or attribute is not conformant
  according to the rules of this specification.

and than uses this term e.g. in section 2.6

  If the URI designated by an import element cannot be resolved, or
  returns an HTTP 404 error, or does not point to a resource with an
  XML MIME type, or has any other problem that makes it unusable, then
  the element is in error.

I assume a non-conforming element renders a sXBL fragment non-conforming
which renders the SVG document that includes it non-conforming. Thus, it
depends on the capabilities of the implementation whether SVGs documents
are considered connforming or not, e.g. if the URI refers to a scheme
that the implementation does not support. That would make little sense.
I am thus not sure how Conformance is defined in sXBL, there is section
1.3 on Conformance but it only talks about document conventions. I think
this is misleading and the section should be renamed to, for example,
"Document Conventions".

I do not know why there is no clear definition for document (or sXBL
fragment) conformance, but in general I feel that document formats and
document fragment formats should have a notion of conformance that is
independent from implementation details and dynamic conditions and the
sXBL specification should include such a definition, it would otherwise
only be possible (and even then only in a limited sense) to assess the
compliance of a sXBL fragment if sXBL is implemented.