Re: [sXBL] 4.2 Processing content elements

Here are some additional things to consider in the discussion about how
<content> elements refer to children of the bound element:

1) (As Robin and Anne have pointed out) Some implementations already have
XPath and some implementations already have CSS. To me, it will be hard for
the community to reach agreement on whether CSS or XPath is better based on
existing implementation arguments. Therefore, I think it is best to resolve
the debate along other axes.

2) If is possible to define subsets of both CSS and XPath for use within
XBL. For example, you can define a highly restricted subset of CSS
selectors and a highly restricted subset of XPath, and only require that
XBL implementations support that subset. It looks to me like the most
popular selection techniques (e.g., by tagname or by attribute value
matching) are available in both syntaxes. Therefore, the ability to subset
CSS or XPath is a wash and therefore I think it is best to resolve the
debate along other axes.

3) My guess is that the W3C leadership, if asked, would recommend using a
subset of XPath rather than a subset of CSS because in their system of
standards they would feel that XPath is the appropriate standard for this
scenario. The first sentence of the XPath spec says: "XPath is a language
for addressing parts of an XML document". This seems to match the
functionality we are trying to achieve with the <xbl:content> element.

4) CSS is really only widely used with one content type: flowable markup,
where HTML or arbitrary markup is styled and presented according to the CSS
box model. This is an important content type, yes, but there are other
markup types such as SVG, SMIL, and MathML with different layout and
presentation models where CSS either isn't available at all or doesn't
provide much value. (Regarding SVG, SVG Full supports CSS as an optional
feature. SVG Tiny does not support CSS. Even when people have the option of
using CSS with SVG, they usually don't because it doesn't provide much value.)

Furthermore, even in the flowable markup world, there is an important
workflow where CSS isn't used: when you are doing pure XSL processing
(i.e., XSLT transformations into XSL-FO documents). In this scenario, XPath
is available (because XSLT includes XPath) but CSS isn't.

My analysis is that XPath is a better match for the broad universe of
content types than CSS, whose usage today and design center is around
flowable markup content types and not the universe of all content types.
XPath, on the other hand, was designed to be a common addressing mechanisms
applicable to all XML scenarios, not just flowable markup.

Jon Ferraiolo
Adobe Systems, Inc.