Re: [sXBL] 4.2 Processing content elements

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 17:01:29 +0200
To: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
CC: www-svg@w3.org

>> XBL could probably be used, eventually, together with XHTML and CSS and
>> some basic DOM methods on smaller devices. If such a device already has
>> CSS support to style the markup, it would be redundant to have a
>> complete XPath specification just for XBL.
>
> Yes, but the problem works both ways (which is why it hasn't been
> resolved): if the device already has XPath it would be redundant to have
> it implement the complete CSS 3 Selectors just for XBL.

I'm not 100% sure, but downgrading from XPath to CSS3 Selectors is
probably easier. Except for cases like 'a:link', 'a:visited', but I'm
not sure if those are necessary.

I guess that a subset of CSS3 Selectors should be defined, which is
compatible with XPath (this means disallowing various pseudo-classes).

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>