SVG 1.2 questions: editable text

From: Andreas Neumann <neumann@karto.baug.ethz.ch>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:51:08 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org

Hi all,

When reading the section about editable text, two questions came to my mind:

* should there also be an attribute indicating whether a text is
"selectable" (true|false)? There are cases where you want text elements
to react to events, but not be selectable. Setting "pointer-events" to
"none" also turns of the ability to react to mouse-events, such as
"onclick". I think, such an addition might be useful. Of course, setting
"selectable" to false would also turn off "editable".

* should there be a way to set boundaries an how many characters the
child of a text-element (or tspan) can contain? Esp. if the user pastes
text from the clipboard. Imagine you have a textfield where you want to
limit the number of characters the user can enter or paste, say to 50
characters. Potentially, the user could paste pages of text, which could
lead to undesirable results.

Thanks for discussion/clarifications.

Andreas